Friday, July 8, 2016

I support #SewDiversity

Here we are, yet again... in the news another story of another instance of someone doing something horrible to someone else. I don't even have to give a specific reference here... chances are, whenever you are reading this, there is something terrible in the news. Shootings, bombings, rape, Trump, etc... we are spoiled for choice over ugly, hateful things to think about. 

In my heady college days at UC Santa Cruz, I often heard the phrase "If you're not pissed off, you're not paying attention" and right now it feels more relevant ever. That said, I've started to type and then deleted a dozen different things here... but, I just don't know what to say. Today I have gone beyond pissed off into confusion and helplessness. Maddie of Badass Quilters Society has written a lovely post in response to the current situation (she also shares my writer's block) and reminds us that in times like these, small gestures are still important. 


I cannot fight every fight and I cannot champion every cause, but neither can I ignore them. What I can do is focus on the causes I find most important and make sure I support and promote them in my immediate sphere of influence. By doing that, I hope to inspire those around me to do the same... and I might be a little pissed off now and then, too ;) (hey, I'm a UCSC alumnus, it's what we do!) To that end, I shall continue to support inclusiveness and celebrate diversity in my little sewing and quilting community, and tomorrow I look forward to spending a few hours with some of my fellow community members in putting together a quilt for the Orlando MQG to donate to those impacted by the Pulse nightclub shooting. I may not be able to change the world, but I can at least try to make it a little better for a few!


If you are interested in digging further into the specific issues that triggered my and Maggie's posts today, I strongly recommend you start with the Curriculum for White Americans to Educate Themselves on Race and Racism–from Ferguson to Charleston; it is an incredible article that goes in-depth into the discussion of racism and lists a ton of great resources and discussions on the subject. 

2 comments:

  1. Yep. I have to believe that each person's contribution makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Steph. We often forget that important actions don't have to be huge ones. A little bit of love and caring goes a long way in making things better.

    ReplyDelete